1938 to 1942
To view a chronological order of the history of Oukloof and some of the events that lead to the forced removal and the subsequent establishment of Esterhof, please scroll through the timelines below. Archive documents have been provided to add to the narrative of the Oukloof story.
A health inspection report conducted by the Department of Public Health gives the first documented glimpse into life in Oukloof.
In a reply to the health report, the Village Management Board states it has applied for a loan for a housing scheme for the location but all funds have been exhausted. There is also a dispute with home owners who have direct access to water in the town and don’t want to share with the Village Management Board in order to improve services.
The Dutch Reformed Church agrees to transfer ownership of Erf 216 [the location] to the Village Management Board on condition that it remains a location and the proposed new housing scheme be built for the coloured people. The Board will also have to pay a third of the outstanding debt to the Church Council.
A letter from the Acting Health Officer again raises the issue of the town’s sanitation, especially with regard to the location.