1881 to 1922
To view a chronological order of the history of Oukloof and some of the events that lead to the forced removal and the subsequent establishment of Esterhof, please scroll through the timelines below. Archive documents have been provided to add to the narrative of the Oukloof story.
A copy of a book of coloured membership of a Riebeek Kasteel Dutch Reformed congregation written by Dominee (Ds) Johannes Stephanus Hauman lists members from 1881 until 1907.
The Village Management Board was established in Riebeek Kasteel.
A document found in the VGK Archives refers to the building of a small church.
A wealthy white farmer, George J Euvrard Snr (1865 – 1932), offered to donate a portion of his land to the Dutch Reformed Church for the establishment of a coloured Mission station, in order to separate white and coloured living areas in Riebeek Kasteel.
Discussions are held by Dutch Reformed Church Consistory members around the need for a Mission school for coloured children.
The land (erf 216) is transferred from George Euvrard Snr to the Dutch Reformed Church on condition that it is used for the establishment of a coloured location.