A document found in the VGK Archives refers to the building of a small church.
20 July 1918:
“The Chairperson tells the Church Consistory [board] that the little church has just been completed, that the usage is dedicated to Riebeek Kasteel and that the expense of £220 has almost been paid off. With a few outstanding contributions the amount will be covered”
It is not clear whether this letter refers to the building of the small Mission Church. Records show that the coloured community held its services in a small building next to the old white Dutch Reformed Church. In 1914 the old white church was vacated for the new church in the centre of town and according to Church minutes, the members of the white Consistory were looking for a new venue for the coloured congregation.