The Village Management Board was established in Riebeek Kasteel.
The Village Management Board was responsible for the administration of various services to the town such as providing water and sanitation removal. From various documents, there were many disagreements between the Board and the Dutch Reformed Church, who owned many properties in the area and more importantly, properties with springs located on them. In 1907 the Church finally agreed to transfer the “the springs” farm to the Village Management Board to provide water to the town but on condition that it retained a secure quota of water.
Surplus People’s Project land claim 1997